Tuesday, March 09, 2010

International Women's Day

... was yesterday. But it's not too late to celebrate! My friend, Molly, wrote a great post on True/Slant in recognition of some awesome woman-ness this year.

I first became aware of International Women's Day was while I was living in Cameroon in 2006. It was a huge deal and there was an enormous parade through Yaoundé with President Paul Biya and his crazy-haired wife, Chantal, in attendance.

(I have pictures of this somewhere in the internet universe. I must track them down.)

 UPDATE: Found 'em!

We (the visiting white students) bought traditional muumuus, dressed up with our host mothers and marched in the parade!

 I forgot about all the guns.  Also, love that he's checking his phone.

It was amazing. There were thousands of women out and, as there had been two colors that year for the traditional Women's Day fabric--turquoise and pink--we were divided into groups by color. Only, as soon as we were spotted, we were forced to the front of the line (that is to say, further divided along color lines), as if to say, "Look! We've got foreigners in our parade! They are both white and able to look ridiculous in muumuus!"

 A friend with her host-mother and another Cameroonian woman.

This only became more embarrassing when everyone started singing traditional songs that were completely unknown to us. There we were, the white folks right at the front, not singing or gesturing along with the rest of the crowd! So, we basically looked really... white.

 Lady Police Officers!

Despite the nationally-aired humiliation, it was an amazing event. I truly felt a part of something that transcended nationality, age and attire. To see so many women out and dressed in the same fabric--many of them had made their own dresses--and to be one of them, myself, that was a unique moment.

This is one of those things that is awkward when translated from French, so let's veer from the literal: 
"Opportunities for women in high, decision-making spheres (positions/jobs)."

I missed my chance this time around, but I think next year I'll dig my muumuu out of retirement, round up some friends, and parade down whatever street I may be living on at that future point in time. Any excuse for a parade. Especially when the excuse is the awesomeness of women.

No comments:

Post a Comment