Wednesday, March 24, 2010

St. Paddy's Day in Dublin

I had the great privilege nutty experience of being in Dublin on Ireland's big day last week.  I decided it would be fun to describe the day through photos. 

11 a.m. (ish): Pedestrians head over the Millenium Bridge to line the parade route; surfers row by on their boards.


12:20 p.m: O'Connell Street is packed beyond hope.  We are not sure where the parade goes next, so we settle in and resign ourselves to the fact that we will not be able to see. 


The kid on the sign has the right idea.

Climbing is a popular tactic.


Kids on shoulders definitely had the best seats in the house...


... and provided the highest levels of adorable Irish pride.


Some grown-ups got in on it, too....


... including myself.


From this vantage point, I was finally able to catch some parade highlights:


Like this giant chicken!


And more adorable children.


Awesome, tall puppets.


Lady in the sky.


Attack!

Not sure... but I like it!

So, as it turns out, the St. Patrick's Day Parade had little to do with Ireland.  Oh yes, the crowds were out in all their green and face-painted glory, but the floats themselves seemed to be a bit... random.  Don't get me wrong, I love giant papier-maché insects and puppets that hover high enough over the crowd to be seen by all, but there wasn't anything that particularly bespoke Ireland.  Or maybe I just couldn't see.




No comments:

Post a Comment