Monday, March 09, 2009

Highest Self-Esteem Ever

One of my students (age 8) came up to me in class today and handed me this note:

On the envelope:
"Je t'aime Anne de la par à Chahrazad mon prénom anglais es KETE"
"[Translation mine] I love you Anne from Chahrazad my English names is [wrong conjugation] KETE [it's actually Kate]*."

On the other side (in case I missed the first one):
"Pour Anne de la par à Chahrazad Tu es trop belle et trop gentilles"
"For Anne from Chahrazad You are too† beatiful and too kind [plural adj]"

On the outside of the note:
"Pour Anne de la par à Chahrazad Je t'aime beaucoup Tu es trop belle Je t'aime tu es trop belle De la par à Chahrazad"
Need I translate? Plus lots of hearts.

The note itself:
"tu es trop belle Anne
Chers Anne
vous êtes trop gentille et trop jolie vous êtes la plus belle englaise que je connaise du monde. tu es trop gentille et tu es parfois rigolote mes dans ton sourire tu es trop belle. et dès que tu es heureuse je suis heureuse. mes dans tes yeux je sais que vous êtes sinsère. Chahrazad"
Translation [ignoring awesome 8-year old spelling]:
"you are too beautiful Anne

Dear Anne
you are too kind and too pretty you are the most beautiful Englishwoman I know in the world. you are too kind and sometimes funny but in your smile you are too beautiful. and as soon as you are happy I am happy. but in your eyes I know that you are sincere. Chahrzad"

So despite (or probably a little bit because of) the numerous mispellings, the repetition, and random changing from the formal to informal "you," not to mention that she thinks I'm English and that I'm probably the only one she knows, this note made me infinitely happy and amused. I am too beautiful and too kind. Who else will ever tell me that?



*This was actually kind of helpful because I don't know any of their real names. They all have fake English names. But she handed the note to me, so I totally knew which one she was.

†Typical French exaggeration. Everything is too good or too delicious, but I like to think it was sincere. Just like my eyes.

1 comment:

  1. Little girls are the best when it comes to boosting a woman's confidence. No matter what you look like, you are beautiful.

    But I'm pretty sure that's an accurate assessment of you.

    ReplyDelete