Friday, April 16, 2010

Islandic [sic] volcanoes and why I should be employed as a translator.

For anyone who isn't up to date on the latest geological news, a volcanic eruption in Iceland has created a massive cloud of ash over the U.K., Ireland and Scandanavia, grounding all flights in those countries.  Just to be clear, I can't discern any kind of a cloud here (in Dublin), but ash has started to fall in parts of Northern Britain, causing concern for the health and safety of residents.

In an originally unrelated story, I was working on an article for the tourism blog I write for today, specifically on how to get to and from the Beauvais airport in Paris.  Much to my chagrin, when I opened my draft, I discovered the latest changes I had made yesterday had not been saved, so I had to go back through, rewrite, and recreate the links I had used.  One of them was for the Beauvais Airport website, specifically the bus timetables provided.  When I went to the site, however, this was all that appeared:
ATTENTION fermeture de l'aéroport

En raison d'un vaste nuage de cendre provenant d'une eruption volcanique en Islande, le trafic aérien en provenance et à destination de la scandinavie et du Royaume Uni est actuellement très fortement perturbé.

L'aéroport sera totalement fermé aujourd'hui au minimum jusqu'à 20h00.

Pour plus d'information, merci de bien vouloir consulter le site de votre compagnie aérienne.






WARNING disrupted traffic

Due to a large ash cloud coming from an islandic volcanic eruption, the air traffic from and to scandinavia and the UK is actually heavily perturbated.

The airport will be totally closed today at least until 20h00.

For more information, please visit your airline website

Okay, so first of all, the heading in French reads "fermeture de l'aéroport" -- "airport closure" -- so why does the translation read, "disrupted traffic"?  That's a bit of a mixed message, isn't it?  (Yes, this is going to be a gripe about grammar and translation, so stop now if you don't care.)

In the English version, "islandic" and "scandinavia" are improperly un-capitalized (never mind the fact that in English it's spelled "Icelandic" and not "Islandic").  There is often some confusion between French and English due to rules of capitalization (days of the week, months of the year, and nationalities all begin with lower-case letters in French), but the names of countries are capitalized in both languages!  They even effed up in the French version, forgetting to capitalize "scandinavie."

Also, "pertubated"?  That is so not a word.  Even "perturbed" would not have suited this context.  The verb "pertuber" should be translated as "disrupted" in when it refers to anything other than a person.

Another translational blunder?  "Actuellement" does not mean "actually," in English; it means "currently." And tisk for not ending the final sentence with a period!

I am also annoyed that I can't access any of the normal pages of the site, because now I'll have to wait for this whole volcanic ash cloud thing to clear up before I can reincorporate those links into my post!  And writing for that website is how I earn my monies!

So, website editors of Aéroport Paris Beauvais Tillé, if you're listening, your annoying translation and inexplicable closure of all web pages are pissing me off.  Also, if you're interested in hiring a better translator, I'm available.  And anal about grammar.  Rant complete.

1 comment:

  1. I'll bet they're using one of those online translation programs, which can lead to some pretty hilarious results -- translation being as much art as science.

    It appears that the family (my side, of course) strain of pedantry has passed safely to another generation. :)

    ReplyDelete