Saturday, November 29, 2008

You have to promise never to tell anyone...

About Ghostwriter!* (Kudos to my friend The 7th Grade Poet for reminding me that this show existed.)

If you don't know about this show, you were obviously not alive from 1992 to 1995, or maybe your parents just didn't restrict you to public television viewing the way mine did, but I was totally the target audience for this show at ages 7 to 10. Like, I totally believed in Ghostwriter. At the age when most kids were writing Dear Diary, I was writing Dear Ghostwriter, I feel sad. Please find out if Shane likes me? (If I were not in France, I would find my old diary and pull a direct quote, but I swear that is not far off.) Also, I kept a casebook where I would write down evidence (of what? I have no idea, I seemed to think there were potential mysteries to solve) and interview questions, in case I ever found anyone to interrogate. Plus I totally bought one of those pen-on-a-string necklaces that Jamal would give you when he made you promise never to tell anyone about Ghostwriter. Oh, Jamal.

Classic Ghostwriter moment. Jamal was so cool for having that computer!

I think I just felt like I had a lot in common with the Ghostwriter crew. They were growing up in the mean streets of New York in mostly middle-income families, I was growing up in the White Bread suburbs of Vancouver, WA; Gabby and Alejandro had to work really hard in their parents' store, I really wished my parents had a bodega for me to work in; they used a computer that pretty much only displayed large text on the screen, we had a computer for word processing; sometimes Samuel L. Jackson would guest star as Jamal's dad, I have a dad.

Also, there was this one episode where Gabby steals money from the till at her parents' store to buy this coat she wants because her friend tells her she can say there's something wrong with it and get a refund. But it was on sale and there is a sign that says NO REFUNDS ON SALE ITEMS and then she's screwed because she didn't read the sign at first and then she's out fifty (of her parents') bucks. Anyhow, it really reminded me of the time I was in Fred Meyer with my mom (when I was like 5) and I found this broken porcelain animal on the ground (I think it had fallen off the shelf) and I picked it up and took it home. But then I realized that I had stolen it (!) and was so overcome with guilt that the next time we went grocery shopping, I took it back and put it in the same spot on the floor of the same aisle. Gabby and I were pretty much the same person.

If you have as much free time as I do (and you shouldn't), take the time to check out some videos, they're pretty amazing. And then wonder to yourself, who decided to make Ghostwriter look like a floating period with two eyebrows right on top of each other?

*¡Fantasma escritor, en español!

6 comments:

  1. wow, that really took me back. remember the episodes with that gum monster? i remember that thing gave my little brother nightmares. ahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why did I not know about the casebook and the shoplifting? Did you have a secret life?

    Totally not true about the restriction to PBS only. When you were five we widened your world to allow cartoons on channel 12. We were very forward thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few things:

    1) Thanks for the shout out! It's fun to be linked to.

    2) I totally had the pen on a string, the "evidence journal" and I think even a series of Ghostwriter books that were released in conjunction with the show. I think my favorite storyline was the comic book one, which you can apparently buy on VHS on Amazon.

    3) Hi, Anne's mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Samuel L Jackson was on the show!? I swear, everyday I find out he's in something and I have no idea. Also, sister and I totally had notebooks and homemade pen necklaces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kels, check the video link for some SLJ proof. And mom, of course I led a secret life! I had to promise never to tell anyone about ghostwriter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. God I loved Ghostwriter. Remember what a ho Tina was? Always kissing Rob or Alex or something. BTW, why did they get rid of Rob? He was hot. Also, remember when Gabby found a scarlet macaw in a dumpster (I think it was the second actress they had playing her)? And how Hector couldn't read? GOOEY GUS THE SLIME MONSTER. I obviously have some strong memories of this show. I have always been just this nerdy.

    ReplyDelete