Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Dear Anne, eat more pastries

So here I am in France, and I've realized that the convenience of living with a host family has kept me from getting out and eating all the fresh baked goods that are readily available to me. Also, making friends and going to bars, but that's a different story. (Plus I totally have at least TWO friends now, both by force of having spent three days together in training, but whatevs.) Anyhow, my mission of the last week has been to start taking advantage of the pâtisseries on every corner. I justify my actions by with the following reasoning:

1. My heart condition is pretty much guaranteed at this time, what with all the cheese I'm eating. I might as well throw some sugar and butter in there, too.

2. Many pastries contain fruit(-like substances).

3. I walk frickin everywhere, so perhaps I can delay the impending onset of obesity.

4. I'm in France.

5. Pastries are delicious.

6. Pastries are the most delicious in France.

I was feeling a bit down in the dumps today after a failed attempt at finding a hip hop class I had read about (it totally exists, I just got lost). I was walking home, sullen and dejected, when there in front of one of my newly discovered pâtisseries was a woman making fresh crêpes. I think she was my Fairy Godmother, only French. (I guess I had always imagined she would speak English, for the sake of convenience.)

I decided to console myself. I bought a crêpe* that I had just watched her make, with a sprinkle of sugar all rolled up inside. "I will try again on Saturday!" I said to myself, "because that's when the other hip hop class is!" I walked home content, both with my recent purchase and my overall resolve to eat more sweets.

*This was by no means the first pastry I've had in Flers. It was merely the most recent and the most delicious.

2 comments:

  1. Please do fill yourself with delicious French pastries, if only so that you may attempt to fill the empty Lauren-shaped space in your heart/stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "(Plus I totally have at least TWO friends now, both by force of having spent three days together in training, but whatevs.)"

    Dude, that's how people make friends.

    ReplyDelete